Let’s talk about your diet. Maintaining a perfectly balanced regime is difficult not only for the 9-5 career person but also for busy doctors working long hours and adjusting to constantly changing schedules. Between patients, paperwork, and meetings, fatigue can set in- and fast! What do you do? Eat a candy bar? Drink your fifth cup of coffee? Before falling back into the same unhealthy habits let AllPhysicianJobs offer some fresh advice on the matter. So, let’s throw some color into your plate and discuss some energy boosting produce.
Energy Boosting Produce: What Fruit Should You Buy?
Find Physician Jobs
Energy boosting produce is a great way to improve your diet while simultaneously reenergizing your body. Let’s start with fruit! Fruit is a great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants, all of which are imperative to a healthy diet- and yes helps to boost your energy. Here we’ve rounded up our top five fruits to help recharge and refresh your body!
- Blueberries: Both addictive and delicious! Blueberries offer high amounts of antioxidants and fiber, which will slowly release energy into your body, helping you feel motivated and revitalized throughout the day. Try throwing blueberries onto your oatmeal, salad, or pack them for an easy mid-morning snack.
- Apples: Apples are another great energy boosting option. Apples are a high fiber and high-energy option. This fruit takes longer to digest into your body, so they naturally provide a more long-lasting energy.
- Oranges: Oranges are a powerhouse fruit. Full of vitamin C, potassium, folic acid, and fiber, they steadily release energy into the body over a long period of time. Skip the sugary orange juices and instead be sure to grab oranges next time you are in the supermarket- your body will thank you!
- Avocado: Contrary to popular belief, avocado is a fruit! Avocados are loaded with potassium, protein, healthy fats, vitamin K, and fibers helping you feel full and energized throughout the day. Try adding avocado to wheat bread for a high fiber high-energy afternoon snack.
- Nectarines: Nectarines are a versatile fruit that can be enjoyed in a multitude of ways. Additionally, nectarines are an excellent source of vitamin A, fiber, calcium, and anemia fighting iron. Try nectarines in your salad, fruit parfait, or dried!
Energy Boosting Produce: What Vegetables Should You Buy?
Vegetables are an important component of your diet. Eating a vegetable-rich diet will help reduce the risk of heart attack, heart disease, and stroke. Vegetables also contain high amounts of potassium, vitamin A and C, and dietary fiber which all aid in boosting your energy.
- Dark Leafy Greens: Dark and leafy greens such as spinach or kale are one of the most popular energy boosting produce options. These leafy greens are excellent sources of iron, calcium, and magnesium that promote energy. In fact, one of the main symptoms of iron deficiency is fatigue. Rather than reaching for another cup of coffee, ask yourself if you having been incorporating enough iron into your diet. Try making small yet meaningful changes in your diet. Swap watery iceberg lettuce for darker greens, or throw some spinach leaves into your smoothie!
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are another smart energy boosting option, high in carbohydrates and vitamin A. These nutrients can help you fight off the afternoon lull.
- Beets: Beets have naturally occurring nitrates and antioxidants that help improve blood flow and thus improve your energy throughout the day. Like sweet potatoes, beets also have high amounts of carbohydrates, which help provide sustained energy.
- Edamame: This addictive vegetable is a great way to get a mid-day recharge! Edamame is low in calorie yet high in protein and carbs. One cup of edamame has 17g of protein and 16g of carbohydrates. Edamame also contains high amounts of molybdenum, which acts as a motivator in the process of breaking down nutrients for energy.
- Broccoli: Like spinach and other dark leafy greens, broccoli contains nutrients that help promote proper body functions. Full of iron, magnesium, and vitamin B, broccoli is a smart energy boosting option.
There you have it! The next time you feel like reaching for the coffee pot, turn to these delicious energy boosting produce options instead! Comment your favorite fruits and veggies that help keep you energized throughout the day!